A list of products I find useful.
- I couldn’t manage pain-wise without my TENS machine. I use a TPNex, but they all do basically the same job, just in different ways.
- Please see my Splints & Braces blog post for the back and hand supports I use regularly.
- My teeth and gums are fragile and using an electric toothbrush made things much worse. I can recommend the Sensodyne Precision soft manual toothbrush for anyone with sensitive teeth and receding gums, plus an alcohol-free mouthwash.
- I can’t cope with lifting and tipping a kettle and abslutely love my hot water dispenser. It’s not the prettiest kettle in the world, but stays hot 24/7 and provides instant near boiling water at the push of a button. My Mum has the type of hot water dispenser which heats the water as you use it – it’s rubbish in comparison to my Neostar dispenser, is noisy and takes forever to fill a cup.
Mast Cell Disease:
- The Green People ‘Itch Away’ shampoo. I’d tried everything for my itchy scalp, including steroid liquid off the doctor, but nothing helped until I found this. Green People products are excellent in general, being chemical-free and organic. I particularly like their Gentle Cleanse make-up remover.
- All my life I’ve been plagued with cold sores. In 2006 I went through a dreadful patch, with up to 9 cold sores at a time forming a huge circle on my chin – I looked like I’d been in a car crash! I tried everything from the doctor and nothing worked until I found Liquorice lip balm from the Skin Shop. A component of liquorice called glycyrrhizin has been shown to inhibit the herpes virus. I’ve used this balm 3 or 4 times a day ever since and have only had 3 tiny cold stores in the past 7 years. It’s 100% natural and a pot lasts ages.
- I get hayfever and prefer to use non-drug methods of prevention wherever possible. HayMax Hay Fever balm is a natural, organic gel which you smear round the the inside of your nostrils. It traps pollen before it has chance to enter your respiratory system. I find it quite effective and I definitely know when I’ve forgotten to use it and go walking anywhere near woodland. Widely available – I get mine from Boots.
- I get bitten alive by insects every summer and because I live surrounded by woodland am paranoid about ticks. Due to my chemical reactions I don’t want to use a pesticide based insect spray, so can highly recommend Incognito which is 100% natural and chemical free. Available online, from Holland & Barret or selected Waitrose stores.