On the low histamine diet, in an ideal world, everything should be fresh and home-made. For some people this is absolutely necessary to control their symptoms, but others can tolerate some shop bought produce. With this is mind, I thought I’d share my low histamine shopping list with you, as I wish I’d had something like this to guide me when I first embarked on my low histamine journey. It’s not perfect, or completely cheat free, but it’s a start. I do my main weekly shop at Tesco and have my groceries delivered to conserve energy (if you pay up-front it costs as little as £1.25 per delivery!) so many of my items are Tesco own brands but I’m sure you’ll find similar products in other supermarkets. Apologies to my over-seas followers who don’t have the same items as us in the UK, but I hope my list at least gives you some ideas of what to look for in your own stores.
- Weetabix (Wholegrain Wheat (95%),Malted Barley Extract ,Sugar ,Salt ,vitamins & minerals)
- Rice Krispies (Rice,Sugar ,Salt ,Barley Malt Flavouring ,Vitamins & Minerals)
- Bran Flakes (Wholewheat (65%),Wheatbran (21%) ,Sugar ,Barley Malt Flavouring ,Salt ,Honey ,vitamins & minerals)
- Cornflakes (Maize,Sugar ,Barley Malt Flavouring ,Salt ,Vitamins & Minerals)
- Nestle Shredded Wheat (British Whole Grain Wheat (100%)
- Ready Brek (Wholegrain Rolled Oats (60%),Wholegrain Oat Flour (38%), vitamins & minerals)
- Porridge Oats, preferably organic (100% rolled oats)
- Organic milk (skimmed, semi-skimmed or full fat)
- Yeo Valley organic butter (either regular or spreadable)
- Tesco Ricotta cheese
- Tesco Mascarpone cheese
- Organic eggs
- Organic Rice Dream milk (dairy-free)
- Koko Coconut milk (dairy-free)
- Cream: double, single, whipping
- Carnation Condensed milk
- Haagen-Dazs Dairy Vanilla ice cream (Fresh Cream, Condensed Skimmed Milk ,Sugar ,Egg Yolk, Natural Vanilla Flavouring)
- ‘The Village Bakery’ organic Country Campagne Bread (Wheat flour, water, stoneground wholemeal flour, sea salt). If you are wheat-free they also do a yeast-free Russian Rye bread (note this is wheat-free not gluten free). Not available in Tesco – contact the Bakery for outlets or buy online.
- Tesco Tortilla Wraps – these aren’t brilliant in terms of ingredients, but at least are yeast-free (Wheat Flour,Water ,Vegetable Oil ,Humectant (Glycerol) ,Raising Agents (Disodium Diphosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate) ,Sugar ,Emulsifier (Mono- and Di-Glycerides of
Fatty Acids) ,Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid) ,Salt ,Preservative (Calcium Propionate) ,Wheat Starch ,Flour Treatment Agent (L-Cysteine Hydrochloride). If you are wheat-free Warburtons do a yeast-free, gluten & wheat-free wrap also available from Tesco (either plan or seeded).
- Tesco All Butter Scones (Wheat Flour,Unsalted Butter (17%) ,Sugar ,Water ,Dried Skimmed Milk ,Raising Agents (Disodium Diphosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate) ,Free Range Pasteurised Whole Egg ,Salt)
- Patak’s Pappadums (Lentil Flour,Vegetable Oil ,Salt ,Raising Agent: Sodium Bicarbonate ,Rice Flour). These are also wheat & gluten free.
- Sugar (any variety, including icing sugar)
- Organic honey
- Treacle, Molasses, Maple syrup
- Colemans English mustard powder (Mustard Flour)
- Tesco organic Olive Oil
- Lentils & split peas
- Beans (any except soya or red kidney beans)
- Dried pasta, noodles, macaroni, spaghetti (organic wherever possible)
- Quinoa & Cous Cous
- ‘Tilda’ coconut, chilli & lemongrass rice (Natural Basmati Rice – Cooked (72%), Coconut (Cream, Desiccated) (11%), Sunflower Oil, Red Chilli, Lemongrass, Sugar, Salt, Black Mustard Seeds, Pepper Sauce, Black Pepper).
- Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillon Powder (Sea Salt,Hydrolised Vegetable Protein ,Potato Starch ,Palm Oil from sustainable sources ,Vegetables 8.0% (Celery, Onions, Carrots, Leeks) ,Lactose ,Spices (Turmeric, White Pepper, Garlic, Mace, Nutmeg) ,Parsley ,Lovage). Note: this stock powder is gluten free.
- Organic plain flour
- Organic self raising flour (Organic Wheat Flour,Raising Agents (Calcium Phosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate)
- Cream of Tartar
- Bicarbonate of soda
- Baking powder
- Plain gelatin (vegetarian version not available at Tesco, but available at ASDA and made from agar)
- Custard powder (Cornflour,Salt ,Colour: Annatto ,Flavouring)
- ‘Jus Roll’ ready-made pastry (Wheat Flour,Vegetable Oil ,Water ,Sugar ,Salt ,Emulsifier: Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids)
- Isabel’s gluten-free, wheat-free, yeast-free pizza base mix (Cassava starch, milk powder, salt, natural flavour. Not available at Tesco, but at select ASDA or Booths stores or online at Amazon)
- Crazy Jack’s organic desiccated coconut (organic coconut).
Spreads & Sauces
- Bonne Maman blueberry conserve (Blueberries, Sugar, Citric Acid)
- Blue Dragon Sweet Chilli Dipping Sauce (Water, Red Chilli (20%), Sugar, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Fresh Garlic (6%), Pickled Garlic (Fresh Garlic, Water, Salt, Acetic Acid) (5%), Thickener: Modified Tapioca Starch, Acetic Acid, Salt).
- Tesco Tamarind Paste (Water,Tamarind (33%) ,Sugar ,Salt)
- Sharwood’s Green Label Mango Chutney (Sugar, mangoes (41%), Salt, Acetic Acid, Spices (0.5%).
- Tesco Organic Hummus (ingredients: Cooked Organic Chickpeas (45%), Organic Sunflower Oil, Organic Sesame Seed Paste (14%), Water, Organic Concentrated Lemon Juice (3.5%), Salt, Organic Garlic).
- Tesco crunchy peanut butter (Peanut (91%),Peanut Oil (3.5%) ,Cane Sugar ,Vegetable Oil ,Sea Salt)
Biscuits & Snacks
- McVities Tasties Custard Creams (Wheat Flour,Sugar ,Vegetable Oil ,Whey Solids ,Glucose Syrup ,Wheat Starch ,Salt ,Raising Agents (Ammonium Bicarbonate, Sodium Bicarbonate) ,Natural Flavouring ,Colour (Mixed Carotenes)
- ‘Tesco’ Malted Milk biscuits (ingredients: Wheat Flour, Vegetable Oil, Sugar, Barley Malt Extract, Glucose Syrup, Dried Whole Milk, Raising Agents (Ammonium Bicarbonate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Salt, Flavouring).
- ‘Tesco Finest’ all butter traditional Scottish Shortbread biscuits (ingredients: Wheat Flour, Butter (33%), Sugar, Maize Starch, Salt).
- ‘Botham’s of Whitby’ tea biscuits which I get at Booths supermarkets (ingredients: wheat flour, sugar, vegetable fat, golden syrup, butter, egg, raising agent: sodium bicarbonate, skimmed milk powder, salt).
- ‘Uncle Joe’s’ mint ball sweets (ingredients: cane sugar, oil of peppermint, cream of tartar – on the allowed ingredients list) Available from Tesco.
- Lightly salted ‘Kettle’ chips, ie. crisps (ingredients: potatoes, sunflower oil, sea salt).
- ‘Walkers’ ready salted crisps (ingredients: potatoes, sunflower oil, salt).
- ‘Hoola Hoop’ crisps (ingredients: Potato, Sunflower Oil (26%), Rice Flour, Maize Flour, Salt, Potassium Chloride – a harmless mineral salt).
- Tesco lightly salted Tortilla Chips (ingredients: Maize, Sunflower Oil, Salt).
- ‘Carrs’ Table Water Crackers/Biscuits (ingredients: Wheat flour, Vegetable oil, Salt).
- ‘Romneys’ plain Kendal Mint Cake.
- Ambrosia’ Rice Pudding dessert pot (ingredients: Full Cream Milk, Skimmed Milk, Whey, Rice (9%), Sugar).
- Tesco Finest Meringue Nests (Sugar,Pasteurised Free Range Egg White)
- Melon (cantaloupe, watermelon, honeydew)
- Organic apples
- Organic grapes
- Unwaxed lemons
- Organic potatoes & sweet potatoes
- Organic onions (brown, red, spring onions [scallions], shallots)
- Organic leeks
- Organic Butternut squash
- Organic mushrooms
- Bell peppers
- Organic root vegetables (carrots, parsnips, swede)
- Organic broccoli
- Organic green vegetables (anything except spinach, eg. broccoli, spring greens, cabbage, kale, pak choi, lettuce)
- Organic Garlic
- Courgette (Zucchini)
- Peas & beans (broad, fine, green)
- Fennel & Celeriac
- Fresh beetroot
- Organic Cauliflower
- Organic Cucumber
- Brussel Sprouts
- Fresh herbs: thyme, coriander (cilantro), sage, parsley, mint, basil.
- I occasionally have frozen wild Alaskan Salmon and tolerate it fairly well.
- Any frozen ‘allowed’ vegetables, eg. peas, sweetcorn, peppers
- McCain original oven chips (potatoes, sunflower oil)
- Any frozen ‘allowed’ fruit, eg blueberries
- Tesco Finest Apple & Elderflower lollies (Russet Apple Juice (86%),Sugar ,Elderflower Extract ,Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid)
- Quorn Mince (Mycoprotein (88%),Rehydrated Free Range Egg White ,Roasted Barley Malt Extract)
- Quorn Fillets (Mycoprotein (67%), Rehydrated Free Range Egg White, Onion ,Flavouring ,Milk Protein ,Tapioca Starch ,Pea Fibre ,Gelling Agent: Pectin)
- Cauldron Foods Organic Falafel (Chickpeas (63%),Onion ,Wheat Flour ,Rusk ,Parsley ,Vegetable Oil ,Coriander,Salt ,Sugar ,Garlic Purée ,Cumin ,Raising Agent: Sodium Bicarbonate ,Black
- ‘Innocent’ mango & apple juice drink (ingredients: mango, apple: neither from concentrate)
- Tesco organic apple juice
- ‘Eden’ organic carrot juice
- ‘Pom’ pomegranate juice
- Red or White grape juice
- ‘Bottlegreen’ elderflower presse (ingredients: carbonated water, sugar, elderflowers, citric acid)
- ‘Bottlegreen’ elderflower cordial (Sugar, Cotswold Spring Water, Elderflowers, Citric Acid)
- Organic white tea (a young tea which is better than green or black)
- ‘Twinings’ pure peppermint teabags
- ‘Twinings’ camomile teabags.
- Carbonated or still mineral water
This list is not exhaustive, but contains a lot of the products I buy regularly. If there’s anything you buy that you think would be a good addition please use the comment box to contact me and I’ll add it so that others can benefit.
Tags: low histamine food groceries