Weekly roundup

I’m sorry there have been no mid-week blog posts for a little while.  October has been the most stupendously hectic month it’s a wonder I’m still standing and I simply haven’t had the time or energy.

My house has now had over 700 website views and although I’ve had several actual viewings I have had no offers.  It’s soul-destroying because everyone who comes round loves my little cottage and I get great feedback.  No-one has told me why they aren’t interested in buying it, but I suspect it’s because of 2 things: the fact that my neighbour’s windows in the lounge overlook the garden, and the fact that the driveway is shared which can cause problems, as I know to my cost.  Neither of these things bothered me when I bought the place but they seem to be bothering buyers now and there’s nothing I can do about it 😦

It took days to get over my brief trip to London and in amongst it all I had another phantom period with pelvic pain, backache, nausea, dizziness and fatigue.  However, still no bleed and it’s now been nearly 4 months since my last actual period!

I’d agreed earlier on in the year, before I knew how busy this month was going to turn out, to be guest speaker at a camera club in the city this week.  So I’ve spent days practising, then went along on Thursday night to do my stint.  My brain has been really crap since the London trip and all day beforehand I got stuck on the opening paragraph and totally forgot what I wanted to say, but thankfully on the night it went off without a hitch and I received some great feedback from the club members which was nice 🙂  All my life I’ve been terrified at the mere thought of public speaking but since I reached middle age it’s something I’ve done a fair bit of and actually I’ve rather enjoyed it.  Having said all that, I worry myself sick for a week beforehand that my brain will let me down and there will be huge embarrassing silences as I forget what I’m supposed to be saying so it’s not something I’m going to make a habit of because I can’t cope with the stress.

Saturday I attended my first wedding in over a quarter of a century.  After living on my own for thirty years I’m used to doing stuff solo, but there’s something about a wedding which makes you sentimental for a partner so I found that aspect tough.  My parents were also in attendance, with my Dad hobbling along on his stick and my Mum in her wheelchair which I was pushing.  The Church is at the bottom of a lonnnnng downhill path, paved with ridiculously uneven sandstone slabs.  It’s Autumn, the ground is covered in slippery leaves and I was wearing heels for the first time in a decade. Going down was bad enough and I nearly dislocated both my shoulders trying to stop the wheelchair from running away with me, but coming back up was a different kettle of fish.  Trying to push her uphill with slabs that were raised by an inch in some places was beyond me, but luckily the bride’s dad saw me struggling so came along to help which involved physically lifting the wheelchair in several places over badly cracked pavers.  I think everyone forgets I have hEDS and trying to tilt a wheelchair containing an 11stone person up a pavement might do me some physical damage :-/

We finally got to the gate, which had been tied together with string by the local kids – you then have to throw money to be let out.  It was 5C, there was a biting wind and the bridal party were going to be ages as they were having photos taken so I had to ask the lads to untie all the knots and let us out and bless them they did it without a murmur.

I don’t know if you’ve ever been inside an English Church but heating hadn’t been invented when they were built in the 12th century and most are bollock freezing cold.  This one was no exception and we’d all sat throughout the service with our teeth chattering.  We couldn’t wait to get to the Village hall for the reception, only to find none of the radiators were on and it was colder than the sodding Church!  I literally spent the next 3 hours shivering, which was such a shame as otherwise I would have had a really nice day.  By 6pm though all three of us were risking hypothermia so made our early excuses and came home.  Electric blanket and teddy bear hoody from Dunelm Mill have I told you lately how much I love you? 😀

I feel wrecked this morning.  Being cold and therefore tense all day was exhausting, I haven’t slept well because my back was playing up and there isn’t an inch of my body which doesn’t hurt today.  However, I’ve made it through another busy week without total collapse for which I’m truly thankful and I do hope November is a slightly calmer month (famous last words!).



Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.